Decorating with a Christmas tree can be a challenge if you live in a small space, or just don’t want the trouble of such a large decorative piece in your home. There are many ways to dress up your home for the holidays that provide the same festive spirit as a traditional tree. And the best thing is they’ll last right through to your New Year’s celebrations.
Ideas for a new look:
- Decorate an indoor plant that you already have, wrap a string of mini lights gently around branches and put the base in a metallic or deep red container.
- Bring in branches from outdoors, stabilize in a vase, a bucket of sand or Styrofoam block. Add shiny balls, lights, and decorative “birds”. Try out different branches (winterberry with its bright berries works really well).
- Build a mini-pyramid with bright red or mixed poinsettias, you can even arrange on a small ladder for a big effect.
- Make a tree shape spiral out of hardcover books, and add votive candles carefully around the edges.
- Decorate wire objects (for example, tomato cages from the garden) in sparkling lights.
- Make one spot in your room a focal point, perhaps a mantel piece or a window sill, decorate with lights and evergreen boughs.
- For the more ambitious, wrap tissue boxes in sparkling white or metallic paper so they resemble white “snow bricks”, then stack (and glue) in a pyramid shape (you’ll need at least a dozen).