Denim is making big news in the fashion world this spring. For the first time in a decade, our favourite fabric and style is being featured at the top runway fashion shows in Europe. Yup, Denim is now officially high fashion! Even Burberry featured a denim jacket in its latest collection of women’s wear!
Here’s just some of the reasons we love denim:
- Denim can be worn by everyone, young and old, male or female, and these days, for informal to formal occasions!
- Today’s denim fabric combinations (often with a bit of spandex) fit every size and shape.
- Denim has always been wash and wear (no ironing or dry cleaning!)
- Light wash, dark wash and coloured, denim seems to go with every colour and style.
An A-line button-through skirt: Wear with a polo neck for a serious 70’s vibe and in the summer with a tucked in T-shirt.
Dungarees (overalls) for grown-ups: Team with either a Breton (horizontal striped) top or a Victorian-style cream blouse with chunky wedges.
The perfect shirt dress: Great with knee high boots in the spring, or sandals in the summer. An ideal office dress paired with a jacket or sweater and a chunky necklace.
The great denim jacket: Spring looks include added patches, ripped sleeves, trimmed with lace, fur or some flashy detail. For women, jackets can be worn for the most casual events or added over a little black dress for a formal occasion!
Denim shirts and jackets for men: For men, nothing says masculine better than a soft, denim shirt. Paired with an olive coloured pant, white shirt or T and a sleek dark denim jacket. How to look classy and not totally cowboy? Keep the denim neat, sharp and dark in hue.
Jeans, of course: For women, this spring look for flares, kick flares and girlfriend jeans. The new kick flares are cropped in length and worn with ankle boots. “Girlfriend” jeans are tighter and higher on the hip, with a tapered slim straight leg. For men, straight, slim and regular in colours of indigo, classic light wash, black, grey and white.
- Denim details paired with leather (avoid the all denim bag)
- Denim ball caps with suede
- Denim watch bands, denim on shoes and boots
- Denim underwear and lingerie – yes, for both men and women, wear your denim where only you know it’s there!
Did you know?
According to the book “Denim Dudes”, which looks at the street style and global business of denim, around 50% of the world is wearing a pair of jeans at any one time!