Autumn is upon us, and we are intoxicated by the beauty of its colours, smells and warmth. Considered as Southern Ontario’s best season, we can embrace and prolong it by surrounding ourselves with it inside and out, continuing into Halloween. Halloween can inspire you with its colours and shapes and without being dark and frightening.
Embrace nature and bring the colours and smells of the season indoors. It can be as simple as adding cranberry or pumpkin spice scented candles to your living room. Grab some gourds from your local market, they make the most perfect decorative pieces when left on your dinning room or kitchen table. Try Indian corns, they have the most incredible array of colours you can display inside a wicker basket at your favourite corner.
To start, pick an easy section of your space that you would like changed and decide on how you can make it better and gradually move on; in no time, you have given your home a new face lift that you and your guests can admire for months to come. If there are children at home, get them involved. They can have great ideas you can incorporate into your décor. You don’t have to do it all on your own!
A few ideas for indoor Fall decorating:
- Start drying out your favourite flowers and plants in a vase or large plant pots.
- If you’re handy, make decorative pillows in bright shades of Fall that you can add to your sofa.
Think “outside” the box:
- What can you do with all the beautiful leaves that are starting to pile-up on the ground?
- If you have a porch, take advantage of it and make it feel warm and welcoming.
- Extend your decorative ideas to your doors and gardens.
by Mary Foret, Designer