- Use window coverings that you can open or close easily.
- Choose coverings with good insulating properties, such as shutters and cellular shades that prevent heat exchange.
- Install panels and Roman shades with thermal lining.
- Solar fabrics and window film reflect the heat and light. Window film has been reported to reduce AC costs by as much as 30-40%.
- Cool your house down overnight and in the morning with fans and open windows. It’s easier to keep a space cool than cool it down when it’s overheated.
- Avoid using your oven. Cook on an outdoor BBQ if you’re able or enjoy cold entrees and salads.
- Turn off LED and incandescent lights that emit heat.
- Keep printers and computers turned off unless you’re using them.
Information from Karen Tsao-Pemberton of Budget Blinds of South East Toronto