- Where am I going?
- What shall I wear?
- What should I take?
Where might you find yourself this summer? Perhaps at a summer cottage, taking a day trip to a festival or show out of town, or flying to the other side of the world. Pick your clothing options carefully, for comfort, style and space!
Here are five things to keep in mind when you are packing a knapsack or suitcase.
- Pack light – minimize what you take. Remember, what you bring you have to carry around.
- Layer your clothes – easily adapt to changing weather and temperatures during the day and night.
- Think multi-functional – outfits that can be worn both for casual and more formal dinner, suitable to outdoor activities and indoor cultural events.
- Easy to clean and look fresh – pick clothes that don’t wrinkle and are easily washed and quickly dried. Stay away from linen.
- Prepare for rain and wind – bring a lightweight rain/wind proof jacket and a cap.
You’ve been invited to a cottage…
Cottage life can be rustic, so choose comfort over everything else.
- Wear light colours so you don’t attract bugs.
- Cotton is best because it protects you from the sun while keeping you cool.
- A hat, swimsuit and water shoes are a cottage must have.
The family is heading out on a day trip…
Plan for the whole day and evening. You’ll want to be comfortable traveling but feel fresh once you’ve arrived at your destination.
- A sundress/long cotton skirt is perfect for staying cool and looking a little dressy.
- Lightweight shawl for evenings or when you’re in air-conditioned buildings.
- For men, a collared/coloured shirt gives you a slightly more dressed up look.
- Bring along a sweater or cardigan for cool evenings.
You’re off on vacation…
You are going away for a week or more, but it doesn’t mean you have to bring a different set of clothes for each day. Lightweight and multi-functional clothing is key!
- Footwear is #1 for comfort! You’ll end up walking a lot.
- No need to pack five pairs of underwear but bring easy to wash and quick dry.
- Pashmina is perfect for traveling on planes, going out in the evening, dressing up or dressing down an outfit.
- Think layers and colours that go with one another rather than single pieces.
- Pack one piece of fun jewelry to dress up any outfit.
Also don’t forget to bring…
- Bottled water