Corn, green beans and squash were celebrated by North American woodland Natives as the three “sisters of the harvest” because they nurture each other. The broad corn leaves protect the squash from the wind and sun, the squash leaves prevent weeds from growing and help retain soil humidity, and beans fix nitrogen levels in the soil and climb up the corn stalks to get sunlight.
Three Healthy Choices!
Corn is rich in folate for expectant mothers as well as numerous nutrients; its fibre helps prevent colon cancer.
Green Beans are low in calories and loaded with nutrients, particularly Vitamin K, needed for bone density. 122% of your daily allowance in just one cup!
Squash is a powerhouse vegetable, rich in beta carotene, known to stop the growth of cancer cells, and Vitamin A for vision, bone growth and reproduction.
- 1 zucchini squash, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- 8 whole chicken wings, split
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 5 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Combine zucchini, yellow squash, onion, green beans, corn, chicken, bouillon, tomato sauce, garlic powder, potatoes, jalapenos and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until chicken falls off the bone and flavors are well blended (1 to 2 hours).
- Remove bones and skin – serve hot.