After the holidays, many are trying to save some money and avoid going too far on a cold, dark evening. How about a Games Night for family and/or neighbouring friends? It’s surprising how quickly a fun board or card game takes your mind off work and other worries. And best of all, “Stay In” evenings costs very little and are guaranteed to be fun.
- Make it clear that the invitation is for after dinner, but will include snacks or if you want, dessert.
- Invite guests to contribute by bring a snack, a dessert, pop or a case of beer etc.
- Pick either one game that everyone can play, or set up 2 or 3 game stations, depending on how many you are inviting.
- Provide dollar store prizes or just print off some fun certificates from your computer to give to winners.
- Put someone in charge of each game so that they are the one that explains the rules and helps if someone needs assistance.
- Stock up on paper and pens for keeping score.
- Set a time limit, perhaps 1½ hours so that everyone knows when the games will be over. Whoever is winning at that time is declared the winner.
Board Games that don’t need a lot of Instruction:
Trivial Pursuit; Pictionary; Cranian; Apples to Apples
Games for those who like a challenge:
Scrabble; Boggle; Taboo
Classic card games:
Euchre; Hearts; Crazy Eights