Summer Food Check-List
So it is 100 degrees in the shade and dinner time. Besides opening the fridge door to cool down, is there anything you want to make for dinner? Probably not unless you’ve stocked up with a few summer time “essentials”.
Keep a few of these summer staples on hand and you’ll be ready for a patio dinner or picnic anytime!
- Couscous, quinoa, thin rice noodles cooked (the evening before) and ready to be made into a salad of your choice. Toss in some fresh vegetables, oil, vinegar and herbs and presto, instant dinner salad.
- Quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar for any kind of dressing or bread dip
- Ready made sauces and dips, e.g Thai sauce, tzatziki sauce, hummus and baba ghanoush are three favourites
- An assortment of sausages ready to throw on the grill and serve with crusty buns or chop into a pasta salad
- An assortment of fresh fruits and vegetables that you can combine in a salad, grill on a barbecue, or cut up raw with dips.
- Greek yogurt, great for making any kind of dip, using as a dessert with fruit and honey, or mixed as a salad dressing
- Frozen lemonade and soda water for a refreshing “fizzy” beverage
- Frozen shrimp, easy to grill on skewers, toss in a salad, serve as a quick appetizer with Tai Sauce
- Hamburger patties and buns (always a hit)
- Lemons and limes to make instant dressings, add to a cold beverage, serve with fish, add refreshing flavour
- Frozen wraps for sandwiches, serving with dips, grilled “pizzas”, quesadillas.
½-¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 3 lemons
Juice of 3 limes
3 cloves garlic, minced (more if you love garlic)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Combine all ingredients in bowl and whisk together.
Pour over salad and enjoy.
If you make it more than three hours before using it, the garlic flavor may be too strong.