Enjoy a bowl of the Irish! A hearty meal perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or
any winter night.
- 3 pounds lean lamb
- 1 pound onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup carrots, sliced
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and slice the vegetables. Make the seasoned flour in a large bowl: add a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper to two tablespoons of plain flour and mix well. Toss cut up meat in flour and toss well.
- In a large saucepan add a layer of meat to the bottom of the dish, then a layer of mixed vegetables. Keep layering until all the ingredients are used. Sprinkle the pearl barley on top of the meat and veggies and add about 2 pints of hot water, just covering the meat and veggies.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for about 2 hours. After about 30 minutes, remove the lid and skim off any scum that has floated to the top.
- Re-cover and continue cooking until meat is tender. Serve with boiled cabbage or green beans and a pint of Guinness.
A healthy winter dish that looks and tastes great.
- 1 chopped apple
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple stirred sugar
- Fresh ginger about the size of a quarter (or 1/4 tsp. of ground ginger)
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage (1 medium)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onion and apple in a little oil in a Dutch oven or frying pan until tender.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and cook until tender, about 1 hour. Serve hot or cold.