Kale that is steamed or braised has higher health benefits than raw kale. So even if you’re adding it to a salad, consider a light steaming first. It will make the kale easier to eat as well.
How to Prepare:
• Rinse well.
• Cut the leaves into 1/2″ slices and the stems into 1/4″ lengths.
• Steam kale for 5 minutes.
• Let kale sit for at least 5 minutes to enhance their health-promoting qualities.
Delicious Kale Chips
A very popular treat!
- Use just the leaves, tear into chip-size pieces.
- Brush lightly with olive oil, add a sprinkle of salt.
- Spread on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven 325°F for 10-15 minutes, and make sure you don’t burn them.
- Serve in a bowl as chips – delicious!
- Tear leaves into pieces and chop stems into 14 inch pieces.
- Core and slice apple into thin wedges (Delicious or Crispins work well).
- Sauté in a pan with a tablespoon of olive oil until kale is wilted.
- Sprinkle with Balsamic vinegar and chopped walnuts or pecans.
Super Kale Salad
- Steam kale lightly and cool so you have about 4 cups.
- Toss together in a bowl with ¼ cup of chop-ped, sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts or walnuts.
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese.
- 4-5 tablespoons of red wine vinegar.
- ¼ cup cranberries (optional).
- Mix together and refrigerate at least an hour before serving. Keeps several days in the refrigerator.