- Hot soup makes you feel better when you are “under the weather”.
- Soup is part of the recommended 8 cups of water per day.
- Having a bowl of soup before a meal boosts your appetite and helps prevents over-eating.
- On a chilly day, nothing warms you like a nice bowl of soup.
Autumn Squash or
- 2 cups of butternut squash or pumpkin, scooped, pealed and chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, pealed and chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups of stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 tablespoon each of butter and olive oil
- ½ cup cream or plain yogurt
- Salt to taste
- Sunflower seeds
- Melt the butter and oil in a large pot.
- Gently fry the onion with the lid on until it start to soften.
- Add potatoes and squash/pumpkin.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the stock
- Simmer until vegetables are soft (approx. 15 mins)
- You may need to add more water, just enough to cover the vegetables.
- When soft, mash, then blend with a hand blender until smooth.
- Add ½ cup cream or plain yogurt.
- Add salt to taste.
Serving suggestion: garnish each bowl with shelled sunflower seeds, lightly toasted in an ungreased frying pan.