Depending on the weather outside, you’ll want to plan accordingly. Be ready to adjust at the last minute!
- Snow, cold and ice outside? Offer something warm, like hot apple cider or mulled wine.
- Warmer weather, rain? If the weather is mild, an iced glass of festive punch or sparkling wine is a festive choice.
Respect Your Guests
Always offer a choice. Give guests who are designated drivers or who opt for no alcohol a festive choice:
- Fancy bottled water
- Fruit punch
- For all guests, have a jug of ice water to keep everyone hydrated. For a festive touch, freeze cranberries in ice cubes to add to the jug.
How Much Choice?
Pick a signature drink, for your party, with and without alcohol, and add one or two other basic choices, such as red/white wine, beer, or punch.
Some ideas to consider:
- Peppermint drinks from peppermint hot chocolate to peppermint martinis
- Craft beers
- Replace the “chocolate” fountain with a drink fountain with fruit punch
- Herbal and green tea infused drinks
- Local artisan wines
- Portuguese Vinho Verde wines, light, crisp and sparkling – these wines are typically lower in alcohol and calories
Choose From One of Two Signature Favourites
Chamomile Honey and Whiskey Cocktail
- 6 chamomile tea bags
- 4 cups hot water
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 ounces whiskey or bourbon (2 shot glasses)
- Fresh chamomile flowers (optional)Pour hot water over tea bags and let steep 10 minutes. Remove tea bags, pour tea, honey, lemon and whiskey into a shaker with 2-3 ice cubes, shake vigorously and pour over ice cubes. Makes 4 drinks
Sleigh Driver Mocktail
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 pears, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2-3 litres apple cider
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extractCombine water, sugar, ginger and 1 pear in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally. Strain out the solids and return the mixture to the pan.Add the remaining pears, cider, lemon and allspice and heat over medium-high, stirring often, for 15 minutes. Add cranberries and vanilla, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes before serving.