Health is your wealth – when spring arrives, many gear up for annual spring cleaning, dusting away cobwebs and purging accumulated stuff, letting fresh air flow through our living space and clearing more space for new and better things in our life. Our body requires a similar clean up, so it is vital to our health to undergo a proper detox and cleansing program. Spring is a great season to begin.
Why Cleanse & Detox?
Body cleansing and detoxification has become increasingly necessary in our modern world because of an increase in chemicals and pollution. These toxins come from many sources: factories, vehicles, pesticides and heavy metals. As the demands of the outside world increase, the internal stress we feel can create toxins within our body.
Our internal and external environments and the link between toxicity and disease has caused chronic illness to increase. By undergoing proper cleansing and detoxification, we can decrease our chances of illness and prevent such states before they occur.
Benefit of Body Detox
Proper detoxification and cleansing will give you greater energy and stamina, clearer skin and a relaxed mind. This works by supporting body organs that are responsible for detoxifying harmful substances from our body. Cleansing often focuses on our 7 elimination organs: the liver, skin, kidneys, lungs, blood, colon and lymph.
5 Ways to help your Body Detox
- Always eat plenty of fiber! Include lots of brown rice and organically grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Focus on foods such as beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed; these are all excellent detoxifying foods.
- Protect the liver by taking herbs such as dandelion, burdock and milk thistle. These are well researched, and are known to support and detoxify the liver.
- Always drink lots of clean water; a good rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight daily in ounces. This will keep you hydrated and flush out toxins.
- Breathe deep and often to allow oxygen to circulate freely throughout your system.
- Transform your stress by emphasizing the positive. Focus on everything wonderful you do have and feel grateful, and do not focus on what you don’t have or compare yourself to others; you’re perfect the way you are.
by Monika Weller CNP – a Holistic Nutritionist available full time at Hooper’s Pharmacy to help support you on your road to wellness. Feel free to call anytime to book your free 15 minute consultation.