- Before starting a walking program, check with your doctor if you have a chronic medical condition or a recent injury.
- Invest in good shoes. These are the only expense and equipment you’ll need, pay attention to the fit and quality of your shoes. A pedometer is a good tool to have.
- Warm up by walking at a slow or normal walking pace for five minutes before picking up the tempo of your workout.
8 reasons to walk?
- Walking prevents type 2 diabetes. Walking 150 minutes per week and losing just 7% of your body weight (12-15 pounds) can reduce your risk of diabetes by 58%.
- Walking strengthens your heart.
- Walking is good for cognitive brain function.
- Walking is good for increasing bone density.
- Walking helps alleviate symptoms of depression.
- Walking reduces the risk of breast and colon cancer.
- Walking just three times a week for 30 minutes can significantly increase cardiorespiratory fitness.
- Research shows that walking improves fitness and physical function and prevents physical disability in older persons.