photos
December 13th, 2017
Col. Danforth's Kingston Road

Col. Danforth's Kingston Road

In 1799 an American entrepreneur, Col. Asa Danforth, was granted the contract to build a road connecting the new town of York (Toronto) to Kingston through the virgin forests north of Lake Ontario. He was to be paid $90 per mile to oversee construction, but conflicts with the local administrators soon emerged. When Col. Danforth completed his road in December 1800, it was deemed substandard, and he was never fully paid for the work. He returned to the United States a bitter and bankrupt man.

By 1815 a new Kingston Road was rebuilt along today's alignment. Col. Danforth's road either fell into disuse, or parts were repurposed for local travel. In Scarborough, this road branched north from today's Kingston Road just east of Victoria Park. It still survives in various connecting streets, including Clonmore Drive, Military Trail and, most notably, Danforth Road.

Featured Beaches
History & Landmarks
In Published Issues:


FALL & WINTER 2017/18


Spring & Summer 2017


Fall & Winter 2016/2017


Spring & Summer 2016


Fall & Winter 2016


Spring & Summer 2015


Fall & Winter 2014/2015


SPRING & SUMMER 2015


FALL & WINTER 2013/14


SPRING & SUMMER 2013


FALL & WINTER 2012


SPRING & SUMMER 2012


FALL & WINTER 2011


SPRING & SUMMER 2011


FALL & WINTER 2010/11


SPRING / SUMMER 2010


FALL / WINTER 2009-10


SPRING / SUMMER 2009


FALL / WINTER 2008-09


SPRING / SUMMER 2008


FALL / WINTER 2007-08


SPRING / SUMMER 2007


FALL / WINTER 2006-07


SPRING / SUMMER 2006


FALL / WINTER 2005-06


SPRING / SUMMER 2005


SUMMER / WINTER 2004-05