photos
December 12th, 2018
Beaches Living Guide Spring & Summer 2018


riverdale farm 1Riverdale Farm

201 Winchester St. (Parliament & Carlton)
Purchased by the city in 1856; opened as a park in 1978; 7.5 acres
Known for: Originally Toronto's first zoo

An historic working farm in old Toronto

Wondering what it was like to live on an Ontario farm in the 1800s? Riverdale farm is an actual working farm, set in an almost hidden area of old woods, many ponds, and steams connected to the city's rich ravine system. Where else in the city can you see a horse being groomed, cows in the pasture, a goat being milked, or chickens laying eggs?

There are over 3 km of trails through the park, the Francey Barn that houses horses, cows, goats and sheep, the pig and poultry barn, duck pond, and various historic buildings on the site.

Riverdale Farm 2HISTORY
The farm was originally owned by John Scadding, who was a settler in the town of York and worked directly with John Graves Simcoe. The City of Toronto purchased Riverdale Farm in 1856, and in 1894, opened the site as Toronto's first zoo.

The site was restored as a farm when the new Toronto zoo opened in Scarborough. The idea was to provide children with the chance to see how a farm works.

The Simpson House on site is a Victorian-style farmhouse named after he restoration architect who built it. It is a reproduction of the original Francey farmhouse, complementing the Francey Barn.

ATTRACTIONS
The property features flower, vegetable and herb gardens, with plants that would have grown there on the original farm. In the various paddocks and barns, you can see rare breeds of livestock, representing animals kept in Ontario at the time. Riverdale Park West is adjacent to the Farm, and is a lovely picnic spot in the summer, with plenty of shade and a wading pool. During the winter, the Park offers some of the city's best tobogganing hills.

Riverdale Farm 3FUN FACTS
Three buildings on the site remain that were part of the original zoo. Located next to the Duck Pond across from the Meeting House is the Residence, where the zoo keeper lived. The Residence was built in 1902 by prisoners of the Toronto Don Jail!

EVENTS
Open 365 days of the year, every season there's something new to see, such as the fabulous display of tulips in the woods during the spring, or watching baby animals take their first steps.

There are daily farm demonstrations, were the farmer presents a different animal to visitors in the Francey Barn and a year-round handwork and craft programs in The Meeting House.

Featured Beaches
History & Landmarks
In Published Issues:


FALL & WINTER 2018/19


SPRING & SUMMER 2018


FALL & WINTER 2017/18


Spring & Summer 2017


Fall & Winter 2016/2017


Spring & Summer 2016


Fall & Winter 2016


Spring & Summer 2015


Fall & Winter 2014/2015


SPRING & SUMMER 2015


FALL & WINTER 2013/14


SPRING & SUMMER 2013


FALL & WINTER 2012


SPRING & SUMMER 2012


FALL & WINTER 2011


SPRING & SUMMER 2011


FALL & WINTER 2010/11


SPRING / SUMMER 2010


FALL / WINTER 2009-10


SPRING / SUMMER 2009


FALL / WINTER 2008-09


SPRING / SUMMER 2008


FALL / WINTER 2007-08


SPRING / SUMMER 2007


FALL / WINTER 2006-07


SPRING / SUMMER 2006


FALL / WINTER 2005-06


SPRING / SUMMER 2005


SUMMER / WINTER 2004-05