Q7. Where can you see over 100 artifacts from buildings which were demolished in Toronto and Southwestern Ontario between 1950 and 1981? (P20)
The Guild Sculpture Gardens – a Walking Guide
191 Guildwood Parkway
The monuments, architectural pieces and sculpture you
see here were collected from buildings which were being
demolished in Toronto and Southwestern Ontario between
1950 and 1981.
These fragments are the last representatives of a part of architectural
history which was lost before heritage preservation laws existed to
protect it. Each of the monuments and architectural fragments in the garden have a small brass plaque either on them or near them
which provides information on the building that the piece came
from, its location, the architects who designed it, the date it was
built and the date the building was demolished.
The gardens are divided into numbered areas of interest. The
monuments are identified within each numbered area. Each
monument is represented on the map by a black symbol.
1. E ntrance Gates, Guildwood Parkway
(lamps from Sunnyside Boardwalk)
2. Provincial Panels #1
• One of three monuments containing 3 bas-relief
panels of the Canadian provinces. Each panel was
sculpted by a famous Canadian sculptor (Bank of
• Circle of stones - Window well trim (Hart House,
University of Toronto)
3. The Studio
• Once housed artists’ workshops and a gift shop and
is now used for receptions.
• In front of the Studio: Mobius Curve sculpture by
• The Wishing Well
• The Pottery Kiln - used by potters working in the
4. The Sculpture Studio
• This building was used by resident sculptors Thomas
Bowie and Dorsey James.
5. North Garden
• Six animal bas-relief panels (Bank of Montreal
building) sculpted by Jacobine Jones.
• Ionic columns and lintel (Banker’s Bond Building)
• Temple Building blocks - at nine storeys., this
building was the tallest building in the British
Empire in 1895.
• Ravenna sculpture by Sorel Etrog
• Spaceplough sculpture by Sorel Etrog
• Angel panels (North American Life Assurance
Company) - Note the mistake the sculptor made on
one of the two panels.
6. The Guild Inn
• The original structure dates from 1914 and the
tower addition was added in 1965.
• Planter made from four bas-relief carvings of
flowerpots (1 Hayter Street).
7. Park maintenance buildings and greenhouses
8. Stone Storage area
• The stone stored here is from many different
buildings, most notably Osgoode Hall and Eaton’s
College Street store.
9. Building 191 (Toronto Culture Office)
• On building exterior: two bas-relief panels (Globe
and Mail Building)
• Margueretta stone (University Ave. Armouries)
• Stone storage area (behind the building)(Imperial
Oil Building, Bank of Toronto, Eaton’s College St.
10. Circle of Columns
• Corinthian capitals (399 Sherbourne Street)
• Ionic capitals (University of Toronto)
• Lion’s Head keystone (O’Keefe Brewery)
• Stone mantlepiece (Frederick Banting House)
• Pineapple finial (Abitibi Paper)
• Window well trim (University of Toronto)
• Smokehouse - used by the Guild Inn for smoking
meat and fish.
• Brick wall with stone carvings - (Toronto Fire
Department Engine House #2)
• Flywheel from a stone cutting machine - the
machine cut rough blocks at a quarry
11. On the Patio
• Cornerstone with lead lettering (Imperial Oil
• Cornerstone with bas-relief carving of Moliere and
Rossini (Richmond Building)
• Painted stone pediment (Oxford University Press)
• Stone with bas-relief carving of Raphael (Richmond
12. Musidora by an Unknown Sculptor
• Marble archway (Imperial Bank of Canada)
• Three marble Ionic column fragments (Bank of Nova
• Archway and columns (Bank of Toronto)
13. On the Terrace
• Crysalide sculpture by Antoine Poncet
• Coat of Arms (Toronto Registry Office)
• Two part panel (Mercantile Insurance Building and
Toronto Registry Office)
• Around the Pool: Three panels Agriculture,
Enterprise and Intelligence (Bank of Toronto)
• Provincial Panels #2: One of three monuments
containing four bas-relief panels representing the
Canadian provinces (Bank of Montreal building).
14. By the East Wing
• Entranceway (The Granite Club)
• Robert Holmes sculpture by John Byers
• Art Deco bas-relief blocks (Toronto Star Building)
15. Brick Wall
• Terracotta decorative elements (Royal Conservatory
• Two bronze bas-relief portraits: Healey Willan and
Sir Ernest MacMillan by Frances Gage.
• Bear sculpture by E.B. Cox and Michael Clay
• Decorative elements (West-Quebec Bank, Toronto
General Trust, Canada Permanent Trust; East-Bank
of Nova Scotia).
• Limestone and marble entranceway (Bank of Nova
• Shuffleboard courts
• Millstone (Goldie Mill)
• Boys’ entrance arch (Scarborough High School)
• Ionic column (Toronto Registry Office)
• Wall with decorative stone elements (Canadian
Bank of Commerce, Provincial Paper Building,
18. The Greek Theatre
• Lintel block, Corinthian Capital, two column
fragments (all Bank of Toronto).
• Solstice painted steel sculpture by Kosso Eloul.
19. Provincial Panels #3
• One of three monuments containing four bas-relief
panels representing the Canadian provinces (Bank
of Montreal building)
• Equestrian Fragment by Emanuel Hahn - on loan
from the estate of the artist.
• Two limestone blocks (Long Sault Canal)
• Pink granite millstone (unknown origin)
20. The Bluffs
• Brick and terracotta entranceway (Produce
Exchange Building – iron gates from a Dale Avenue
• Limestone block (Long Sault Canal)
• Limestone tablet (University Avenue Armouries)
21. Keystone Wall
• This wall was constructed from decorative keystones
from several buildings
• Miscellaneous stone storage area (Bank of Toronto)
• Four capital blocks (Imperial Oil Building)
22. Log Cabin
• Initially believed to be much older, this one room
cabin was built around 1850.
Please send your comments about our featured articles
to email@example.com. Also let
us know what subject would you like to see in our future issues.