A GREEN COMMUNITY MEETING PLACE FOR OVER 100 YEARS
Over a century old, Withrow Park has been the focal point of many people’s memories living in the east end neighbourhoods of Riverdale and the Danforth. It is one of the largest parks in the city, and hosts a diverse choice of activities from early morning Tai Chi, boot camp classes and ukulele jams!
The park was formally laid out the early 20th century while the houses around it were being built. It was named after John Jacob Withrow, a local landowner and builder who was one of the founders of the Canadian National Exhibition.
With its huge hill, Withrow Park is a favourite for tobogganing. Other activities include outdoor ball hockey and skating. In the summer, the east end park is a happening hub with lots of green space for running, playing and picnicking.
In February 2008, the Toronto Maple Leafs ice hockey team held a practice at Withrow Park to mark the refurbishment of the park's ice rink.
Withrow Park Farmers' Market has been met with success summer after summer. There are many ongoing activities and City of Toronto programs at the Withrow clubhouse as well as outdoor events and celebrations through the year.
THE WITHROW FAMILY
This plaque has been placed here to honour the Withrow family for their many contributions to the CNE, including its founding, and to the City of Toronto. It is located on the exterior west wall of the Press Building.
John J. Withrow, 1834-1900
• City of Toronto Alderman, 1873-1878
• Chairman of the Board of Massey Hall, 1849-1899
• President, Toronto Industrial Exhibition Association, 1879-1900
Norman M. Withrow, 1875-1963
• General Manager, Massey Hall, 1910-1932
John B. Withrow, 1910-2000
• Governor, Massey Hall & Roy Thompson Hall, 1975-2000
• Director, CNE Association, 1974-2000
William J. Withrow, 1926-
• C.M, O.ONT
• Director of CEO, Art Gallery of Ontario, 1960-1991
• Director, CNE Association, 1998-2004
• The Canadian National Exhibition Association 2005